If you have a preschooler, you are probably wondering about HOW to prepare your child to become a reader. The most important job you have as a parent during this stage of the reading journey is motivation. We want our kids to see learning to read as an exciting adventure, and we’ll talk about about it in this free ONLINE video training. Get five preschoo literacy tips that you can use immediately with your child.
Scroll down for all the resources mentioned in this training.
TOP PRESCHOOL LITERACY TIPS:
- Talking about stories allows a child to learn more about emotions (WHY a character feels the way they do), reasoning/logic, and picture-text connections.
- Act out stories together. Encourage your child to bring characters and plots from their favorite stories into their block/dramatic play.
- Expose your child to lots of new experiences! Prior knowledge will help your child understand what they’re reading later.
Teach your child to “picture walk” through a story. Sometimes this is a fun way to introduce a new book! Children who know how to deduce a story from the illustrations are not dependent on a reader to decode the text every time.
- Watch TV with the captions on!
- Introduce letters and sounds. Keep this fun and low-pressure (child-led) if you can. We used jumbo magnetic letters and an oil pan.
- Rhyming games are a fun and important way to learn ending sounds. Make a points system for nonsense words and those with more than one syllable.
- Give your child plenty of opportunities to write! Make a writing station with paper and pencils/crayons, use chalk outside, etc.
Need to find more time in the day to read with your preschooler? Check out this post for 12 fun ideas!
Books and resources mentioned in this video:
(Rolling Prairie Readers does use affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission if you purchase any items we recommend. For the full disclosure policy, you can click here.)
And click here to see more posts about preschool literacy tips:
- The Importance of Nursery Rhymes in Literacy Development
- Learning to Read is a Lot Like Potty Training
- 6 Common Mistakes Raising Readers
We have even more freebies for you in our Resource Library!
- Literacy Milestones List
- Literacy Tips for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
- Rhymers Become Readers + I’m a Little Teapot Activities
- Best Books for New Readers